Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday - February 25, 2009

Aiyight fellas. As a member of the losing team of this weeks Gatorade Game - I volunteered to write this weeks write-up -- but before the actual write-up -- I wanted to review the easy rules: (I'm going to do my entire post in bullet-point format - sorry)
  • One member of the losing team of the Gatorade game will be responsible for writing an "entertaining piece" on this blog for that week.
  • The winning team will collectively decide who the writer for that week will be
  • A person who writes it the week before cannot be chosen to write it the following week
Some things to keep in mind when blogging:
  • Whatever you write on this page will be available on the information super-highway... Meaning, if you write someones full name - a few days later - if you were to Google that name - this blog would show up.
  • So - I recommend merely not using full names. (Ex. Dorf, Goff, Barry, Smitty, etc)
  • This is all in fun. You shouldn't take the opportunity to hurt someones feelings. At the same time - if someone says something that hits a nerve - try not to take it too personally....
OK - this weeks run-down ...
  • Pretty interesting that the two key "gatorade game" constituents didn't play in this first new twist of the tradition...
  • My shoulder is killing me this morning - Schweid - how's your jaw?
  • Cuso's been playing like he's come back from some major off-season surgery... He's got an EXTREME pass-first mentality recently - which isn't to say he used to be a ball hog - just noticing that he's not been looking for his shot on the regular. I'd be surprised if he's shot 20 times in total the last 3 weeks...
  • Surprising on the other end .... Mr Schweid - In games 2 and 3 last night - I calculated (with the oversight of Dorf) that you had a 95% "shoot rate" after you received the ball on offense. Every time you got the rock - you shot it. Now - I'm usually not one to complain about this, because I could be totally fine not taking a single shot in a game - but was just very interesting to analyze...
  • The four-some of Schweid, Cuso, Dougie, and Schweids tall friend Connor (the gatorade game winners) are definitely the best foursome to be on the same team at the Allen-Stevenson gym ... and possibly since I've been part of the run.
  • Manoff (the guy in the white shirt) came out BLAZING last night. In his first few games - I felt like he shot 80% from the field. Although this is where we old folks will get pissed ... The kid is 22(!) and was crazy winded after game 3...
  • The shirt I was wearing last night was one of my favorite to work-out with when I was boxing... Schweid - you were right - I need to retire it until I get back into boxing shape. You should retire the "heavy period" all red out-fit though too...
  • Barry has really brought some intensity this year to the game. The guy clearly doesn't like to lose ...
  • The line of the night - Strow: "Was that goal-tending?" (when his 15-ft shot was blocked by Connor)
  • Speaking of Strow - he's really been knocking down the pull-up J the past few weeks ...It doesn't look pretty, but I bet he's shooting 50%....
  • Smitty - to say a fellow Wah-Nee alum is too good for our game is something I don't agree with.... Not to say that I think the run could take the 8 best and win some "A league" at Chelsea Piers ... but moreso that we all pretty much know how to play the game of basketball. Someone could easily have a dominating performance any night - but I don't think Zelmo is "too good" for our run. In fact - what can we do to get him to join one night??
  • Speaking of joining us for a night - Smitty - have you ever invited Gus?? Would love to sit-out the game and listen to him call it....
  • For those that don't know by now - I probably shoot 25% from the free-throw line. (I'll legitimately miss 50% of the time and air-ball or brick it 25% of the time). Please don't be surprised anymore. (I did shoot 2-6 yesterday - but sat both times I was up to sit)
  • How about the E. Newman sighting on the way out last night ... Looks like we're not good enough to ball with ... He's joined the 8:00 run...
  • Dorf - is Rusty joining the run with Mandell moving? If so - I'm going to be looking more closely before the run as to if Mike is playing or not... Mike - if you've never guarded Rusty - I'm sure you'll get your fair share soon enough...
  • For those that are interested in reading the Battier piece (by Micheal Lewis) - click here. It's long - but a great read.
That's it fellas ... Until next week...
BG

No comments:

Post a Comment